Monday, July 13, 2015

Gone Too Soon

We all have loved ones. We'd be lying if we said we didn't. They are the ones we hold closest to us, and that mean more to us than anything. Usually these are your direct family members, the people who have been in your life since you took your first breath. Then there are your blood relatives, close relatives, family friends, and so on. But loved ones aren't just family, they are our friends, best friends, bffs, bffls, boyfriends, girlfriends, and others we have encountered in our lives with whom we have formed a special, unbreakable bond. These connections that we share with those special individuals are not only what make us human, but also make the world an easier place to live in.
They are there when we need them, through the good times and the bad, give us counsel when we need to hear it, direct us on the right paths, encourage us when we are down, push us when we want to give up, love us when no one else will, bring us laughter in our most depressing moments, and bring joy to our lives when we think there is none left. Without them, we probably wouldn't be the people we are today. All this goes to say that our loved ones matter to us, and play important roles in our lives, roles not just anyone can play. But there will come a time unexpectedly when it is their time to pass on, and that is when things can get very rough us. The road after that is very gloomy and unbearable, but it is a road we must travel. But we don't have to let that road take away our happiness. This is one of the greatest challenges one will encounter in their life, but it is not impossible to overcome.

I remember when I lost my godfather a couple of years back. It was the third worst experience and time of my entire life. He was a man that had brought me so much happiness, wisdom, and love in all the times I needed it most. He was like the father I'd always wanted. The impact he made upon me still lasts to this very day and his memory in me will never be forgotten. When I heard the news, I remember being in daze. The cold, eerie presence of death had not come to my doorstep until that day. A flurry of emotions welled up inside of me such as pain, sorrow, and confusion. They stayed with me for the week to come as I tried to understand why such a thing had happened. He had gone on a trip and was supposed to be back that day to help me with a problem I'd been having, but he wasn't going to make it. Through the whole process of grieving and making sense of the tragic event, I kept thinking of questions to myself like, "What I was going to do from then on out?", "Who could I go to for help when my mom wasn't there?", "Why me?", "Why him?!", and "Why now?". I spoke to my mom about it, a friend, and a teacher, all of whom had lost people precious to them. I learned from them that everything always happens for a reason. No one can control when it is time for someone to pass on, and that grieving over them forever without moving on wouldn't provide any benefits for you in your life. They told me a few things that helped them with the process was having someone else close in their lives there to console them, participating in positive things to uplift their mood, they are probably in a better place, realizing the positive impact they had on their lives, and always remembering that they haven't left them forever, but are still with them in all the great memories they still hold. Their words have resonated in me ever since. And they should be things you remember as well.

A person only truly dies when you let their memory and love for them fade away. Otherwise, they remain in our hearts forever. In addition, they wouldn't want you to grieve the rest of your life over them. They would want you to be happy. So don't let their memory and legacy fade away. Celebrate their lives by living your own, keeping their memories close, and making an impact on others as your resting loved ones have done for you. It will be a very tough time, trust me, but  you will get through it. You can make that path you walk less gloomy and depressing the more positive a mindset you have, accepting the death of your loved one, and realizing they are still walking that path with you, every step of the way. You may have taken a hard hit, but it won't sway you off your path to success and a happy life as long as you don't let it. I still hold my godfather's memories close to me, and he is actually one of the big reasons I write this blog, so that I can help others as he did for me. I won't let his memory die, and I'm sure your loved ones wouldn't want you to let their memories die either.

No comments:

Post a Comment